|Did You Know?|
1. About 61,000 women are living with AIDS or HIV in the Dominican Republic.
2. AIDS is currently the number one cause of death for women between the ages of 15 & 49.
3. Women make up more then half of HIV and AIDS cases within the Dominican Republic.
4. Women in the Dominican Republic are often fired from their jobs if it is discovered that they are infected with either HIV or AIDS.
5. Women in the Dominican Republic can be refused basic childbirth assistance even when they are forced to be tested for the virus.
6. Women often get the virus from promiscuous husbands who force their wives to have unprotected sex with them.
7. Husbands often beat their wives for having the virus even though they often give their wives the virus.
8. HIV prevalence is measured at about 12% among female sex workers.
9. The public health system in the Dominican Republic does very little to educate women about HIV and unprotected sex.